The more you know about child abuse and how it can be prevented, the better able you will be to help kids in your community.
Your community (or county) may have programs and resources to help protect children and support families. These can usually be found online by searching for child abuse prevention and your locality name. Here are some websites that you may find helpful:
- Child Welfare Information Gateway - is a national resource for professionals seeking information on the prevention, identification, and treatment of child abuse and neglect, and related child welfare issues.
- Search Institute - studies what children, families and communities need to help kids thrive. For information on their research and resources to help communities and families click on the link above.
- Families and Work Institute - is a national organization that fosters mutually supportive connections between workplaces, families, and communities.
- Darkness to Light - is a training organization that focuses on preventing sexual abuse of children by educating responsible adults. They work with community groups to offer training and suggestions on how individuals can prevent sexual abuse.
- Center for Effective Discipline - provides information on the effects of corporal punishment of children and alternatives to its use.
- The National Resource Center on Children and Families of the Incarcerated - provides information on research surrounding children of incarcerated parents; fact sheets for mentors, community members and professionals; and tip sheets for parents.
- Drug Free Workplace PA - Drug Free Workplace PA is a nonprofit organization that is funded by a grant from the PCCD. It was established to help create and implement drug free workplace programs for Pennsylvania businesses and tasked to educate Pennsylvanians on the dangers of drug abuse. Drug Free Workplace PA does this through both online trainings and in- person trainings at schools, churches, rehabs, corporations, and any organization in need.
- ZERO TO THREE - ZERO TO THREE's aim is to strengthen and support families, practitioners and communities to promote the healthy development of babies and toddlers. Website provides information on research into early childhood development, professional development and public policy initiatives.
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation - is a private charitable organization dedicated to helping build a better future for disadvantaged children in the U.S. Site includes data from Kids Count, a project that tracks the status of children in the U.S.